Xtreme Skater - Free skate ramp plans

Help with Narrow Mini

Talk about ramp building, ask questions

Help with Narrow Mini

Postby dyardy on Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:19 am

Hi i am going to be building a skateboard mini ramp in my garage soon and with not a lot of space and money i just wanted to ask a few questions.

1) To save a bit of money a friend mentioned i could either have just 2 quaterpipes and my concrete floor as the flatbottom or the 2 quarterpipes and instead of making a raised structure using 2x4s just have the surface ply lying on the floor as the flatbottom. Wondering if anyone has used either of these 2 options and some of the pros and cons of both.

2) With limited space available in my garage due to my car having to fit in there, the widest mini i could probably fit would be about 5ft and i know this is very narrow as i have been searching the forum and hardly found a ramp narrower then 8ft so is 5ft even possible? Keep in mind i am fairly new to transition skating so will probably just be sticking to basic lip tricks/stalls for the time being.

Dimensions i am thinking of using are 3'x 5'x 21' with 6' of flatbottom and a transition radius of 7'.

if anyone could shed some advice on those 2 points above or better dimensions for my space it would be appreciated!
dyardy

Re: Help with Narrow Mini

Postby dyardy on Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:28 am

anyone at all? just say something! anything!
dyardy

Postby skatefallsmash1 on Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:05 am

it will work ether way but the flat bottom using wood would only cost like 30 bucks or less depending on how long it is.
skatefallsmash1

Postby dyardy on Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:59 pm

yeah its 6ft of flatbottom so it will be cheaps but i was also wondering if the transition to the flatbottom would be hard to get smooth?
dyardy

Postby Bobby on Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:00 pm

Welcome to the forums dyardy,

With no flat it hurts more when you fall and it can be tricky to get a smooth transition from ramp to ground, but the pipe becomes a lot easier to move.

5' is obviously not as good as 8' but i'd say it is worth the build. I recently watched this video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WDxyD1k8hQ, if you jump to 2 min it looks like there indoor halfpipe is about 4' wide and fun.

Have you thought about making a ramp that you can rotate on its side or back for storage? For example put two 6' wide ramps next to each other and add a button to the garage door clicker so the ramp splits in half a rotates up leaving you a place for the car...

The dimensions sound good.
Bobby
Site Admin

Postby dyardy on Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:02 pm

thanks for the welcome.

would it would be hard to get a smooth transition from ramp to ground if i did the option of having 2 quarter pipes with my surface plywood/masonite lying on the ground?

sorry i dont really understand what your trying to say with the garage door idea you said but even if i rotated the quarterpipes i probably wouldnt be able to fit more then 5ft width to still have room for the car
dyardy

Postby Bobby on Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:07 am

Yes that should be easy to make smooth, as long as the garage stays dry it should be fine, if the surface wood warps at all there is a long distance between screws since there is no skeleton to screw the flat bottom into, unless you pre drill and get cement screws which is an option. If you haven't see the general building tips where I give a link to buy sheet metal that also works for a transition.

The garage clicker is just wishful thinking but the rotating idea is that an 8' wide 4' high quarter pipe is only 4' wide when it is on its side.
Bobby
Site Admin

Postby dyardy on Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:36 pm

yeah thanks for the tips but ill have to find some sheet metal elsewhere cause i live in Australia.

i have begun drawing up some more plans and scabbed a lot of wood off friends and a building site so i just took about $500 off the final price so it should hopefully be built a lot quicker now. ill post some stuff up on the project page when im done if youd like
dyardy

Postby Bobby on Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:24 pm

sounds sweet as mate
Bobby
Site Admin

Postby bynez on Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:45 pm

i have a similar question and im sorry for steeling your post. lol.but would a 4' wide outdoor mini be good for beginners and would it take 1/2 the material then a 8'? because i am a little short on money. dam i cant get a job =/.
bynez

Return to Ramp Building Forums