Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/banaax/xtremeskater.com/forums/includes/bbcode.php on line 456

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/banaax/xtremeskater.com/forums/includes/bbcode.php on line 456

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/banaax/xtremeskater.com/forums/includes/bbcode.php on line 95
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4184: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:456)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:456)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:456)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4188: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:456)
Xtreme Skater • View topic - Plastic/copper coping?? 2/8" plywood surfacing??
Xtreme Skater - Free skate ramp plans

Plastic/copper coping?? 2/8" plywood surfacing??

Talk about ramp building, ask questions

Plastic/copper coping?? 2/8" plywood surfacing??

Postby HadyIshak on Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:12 am

A little intro: My name's Hady, I'm frm Singapore, a small island off the southern coast of Malaysia somewhere in South-East Asia (not much of a skate scene here, although it's rapidly growing right now), age 14, skateboarder for 4 yrs. I'm planning to build a 32"-high quarter pipe, and I have a few questions in mind regarding building QPs.

Plastic/Copper Coping Instead of Metal?
There isn't exactly a variety of building materials available where I come from, and I remember seeing on YouTube some users having plastic copings on their backyard miniramps, so I was wondering if those plastic pipes are grindable on skateboard trucks. If not, I was thinking of using a copper pipe for my QP coping but I fear it might dent too easily so I rly need help here...

2/8" Plywood for Surfacing?
I went to look for plywood and a store I found only sold them in 2/8" thickness, so I figured I'll use three layers of plywood instead of two to make up for the thinness. Would this last as long as if I used two layers of 3/8" plywood? 'Cos it would add up to the same total thickness.

I'd appreciate your help, thanks.
HadyIshak

Re: Plastic/copper coping?? 2/8" plywood surfacing??

Postby Bobby on Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:55 pm

Hi Hady, welcome to the forums.

PVC pipe is a type of plastic that works well for coping, I have a picture of it on my 8' halfpipe at http://www.xtremeskater.com/verthalfpipeplans/hp7.php

if 3/8" plywood cannot be found 3 layers of 2/8" should work, though I have never heard from any users that have used that thickness. Anyone?
Bobby
Site Admin

Postby bmxrox on Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:54 pm

ya ive done the 2/8" or 1/4"" same thing. i did two layers of it and it worked just fine for me. i like it and its a whole hell lot easier to put on. my qp and spine have the double layered 1/4" on my project page
bmxrox

Postby irideabikewithnohandlebas on Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:30 pm

I was talking with my dad about thiss same question and he brought up the idea that if you could fine a piece of plastic or wood or something the you could stick inside the coping, it would really save it against dents. I'm not sure where to find it, though, and I haven't tried it out because I haven't built my quarter pipe....yet.
irideabikewithnohandlebas

Postby HadyIshak on Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:52 am

Bobby wrote:Hi Hady, welcome to the forums.

PVC pipe is a type of plastic that works well for coping, I have a picture of it on my 8' halfpipe at http://www.xtremeskater.com/verthalfpipeplans/hp7.php

if 3/8" plywood cannot be found 3 layers of 2/8" should work, though I have never heard from any users that have used that thickness. Anyone?

Okay, but is the surface of the PVC pipe grindable/slidable? Also, when I went to the hardware store and asked for a metal pipe, they said they had no metal pipes, only copper. But are they the same thing?
HadyIshak

Postby benwinch on Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:12 am

Pvc is very grindable and will work just fine. i have never heard of using copper for coping, but in order to get the diameter you would need, i think it would cost you a LOT. also, i think copper is a very soft metal, so it would get dinged up and bent pretty quickly. pvc is your best bet
benwinch

Postby HadyIshak on Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:41 pm

Thx for the tips, guys. N great website, Bobby! Keep it up.
HadyIshak

Postby bonnie0715 on Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:15 am

Competitive Pine Plywood products from various China Pine Plywood manufacturers and Pine Plywood suppliers are listed below, please view them and select the most helpful info for you. Besides, we also provide you with Pine Plywood related products such as Shutter Plywood, Filmfaced Plywood, Hardwood Plywood, Pine for your choice.
bonnie0715

Postby snopro on Wed May 27, 2009 6:32 am

Hi hady, i think pvc pipe would work great. I am going to use it on my miniramp and i am going to use two layers masonite becuase he in seeley lake 3\8 plywood is $30 bucks! my dad thinks two layers of 1\4 masonite will be plenty strong.
Hope it helps, Snopro
snopro

Return to Ramp Building Forums