Xtreme Skater - Free skate ramp plans

Mini Halfpipe - additions

Talk about ramp building, ask questions

Mini Halfpipe - additions

Postby inframan on Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:41 am

I'm working on my second halfpipe and after doing a ton of research and building a couple my self I'd like to add a couple steps to the plans on this site.

Bolt the flatbottom and transitions together. Galvanized is best, espically if you're using treated wood. You'll notice some movement between the pieces if there's only plywood holding the flat and tranny together. I used a couple long screws on my first ramp but when other people rode the ramp I could still see the transition flexing seperate form the flat bottom. Use bolts.

Double up the 2x4's in the tranny where the first layer of plywood meets. It add strength to the transition where a lot of stress is placed and makes the plywood seams stronger.

Build the transitions in 4 or 6 foot sections This is optional but you'll feel a lot less flex and the ramp will be much more solid. Probably not a big deal in this case since you used 2x6's instead of 2x4's and its less than 3' tall.

Attaching the coping use L bolts and there's no need to drill a hole in the top of the coping only underneath, these are the L shaped bolts that are set in concrete founations and can be found at HD and lowes.

Turn the flat bottom so the boards run 90 deg. This is also optional but it makes sense, you'll feel any variations in the flat bottom boards a lot less if you skate them longways. Also makes it easier to bolt to the tranny.
inframan

Re: Mini Halfpipe - additions

Postby Bobby on Fri May 14, 2010 10:36 pm

Hey thanks for the tips, I will work on getting those added ( In a cool way )
Bobby
Site Admin

Return to Ramp Building Forums