Xtreme Skater - Free skate ramp plans

Plywood and Lumber Question? Ask an expert.

Talk about ramp building, ask questions

Plywood and Lumber Question? Ask an expert.

Postby ROYAL on Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:32 pm

I'm a materials consultant at Royal Plywood in Cerritos Ca for 22 years now. I've been working with the skate ramp industry for the last 10 years and have supplied materials for a lot of major project, people and ramp builders in Southern California.What works? What doesn't work? I'll give you the straight answer on anything related to materials needed for you own ramp.Darrell
ROYAL

Re: Plywood and Lumber Question? Ask an expert.

Postby pberube on Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:53 am

Royal, are you still active? I have questions.
pberube

Postby ROYAL on Fri May 17, 2013 12:04 pm

Yes, sorry I didn't respond sooner. I usually get a e-mail notice on this site.
What's up?
ROYAL

Postby makingsk8dreams on Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:42 pm

Royal! Me and a few kids did some fundraising this summer in order to add some new features at our rundown park from 00'. We did some good work and have $900 in the bank right now. We've got one three foot flat bank at the end of a 50'x90'ft slab. I want to add a pyramid bank ramp and a quarter pipe to complete the flow line. The city is matching our funds, but our budget doesnt call for 12 chunks of skatelite. I built a test ramp with a 1/4" plywood topsheet watersealed on the bottom side and marine varnished on the topside. My hopes were that the marine varnish would toughen up the plywood, but after a week of testing I put a dent in the plywood. Got any ideas I haven't thought of yet? We in Babbitt, MN would be Stoked!
makingsk8dreams

Postby ROYAL on Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:43 pm

Buddy, I'm so sorry for the late response. This forum site is suppose to e-mail me when someone posts.
Anyway. What kind of plywood did you use to seal? If it was a Pine or DF plywood it will get grain raise no mater what you seal it with. The only way is to use a Russian or Baltic Birch plywood with Exterior glue. It must be exterior glue to work. I stock it in 4x8 sheets for $26.40 here in California. I don't know if anyone stock it in your area.
If it's already down. Check out "Skate Paint" online. It's a polyurethane coating that works well with todays wheels.
I'll keep checking in on this forum for reply's. Late.
ROYAL

Postby Bobby on Tue May 20, 2014 10:25 pm

My apologies for the bug! I turned the email alerts ( i.e. subscribing to a topic ) off for now.. I never noticed it was enabled. I tried to get it working with a few quick fixes but no luck, once I have the time I will upgrade some of the libraries who shall not to be named and make it work.
Bobby
Site Admin

Postby ROYAL on Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:32 pm

Thank you Bobby,
As you can see, I don't get a chance to check this site very often. So getting an e-mail alert would be very helpful.
That's all I'm trying to do is help anyone who has a question.
DB.
ROYAL

Postby sfhc21 on Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:21 am

Hey Royal - I was looking around Lowes last night and came across Hardipanel. Would this be a viable option for a surface layer? I've searched around the web and there's not much info on using it for a ramp. But it seems to be sturdy and it bends very well. I think my main concern would be chipping and cracking over time from the abuse of skateboards.
sfhc21

Postby ROYAL on Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:22 am

Hey SFHC21,
Hardie Panel is a Fiber-Cement board that is make for exterior wall siding.
It can take the rain and not swell, but it will hold the moisture and is slow to dry.

Never heard it being used as a riding surface. Even though the texture may have grip. It is NOT very durable to abuse. When contractors nail it up to a house they have to be very careful of what kind of nails and hammer they use or they will brake off the edges and corner.

Most ramps will flex with your down force, I do not think the Hardie panel could handle the repeated flexing and will probably crack or lose its screw hold. Or crack with a simple nose of your board hitting it.

Not cheap either. Depending on your area, could cost $40 for a 5/16" 4x8 sheet.

Instead I would recommend a 6mm(1/4") 4x8 Russian Birch Plywood $30 per sheet. May be hard to find depending on your area. Make sure it is the Russian 4x8 because it is made with Exterior glue . Most places have 5x5 that has interior glue and will not hold up long outdoors.

Or a simple Tempered Hard Board (dark) $12-$16 per sheet still works for cheap. Just may need to replace every 6-months to a year.

Hope this helps, good luck on your ramp.
DBROYAL
ROYAL

Postby shah302 on Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:00 pm

dy down. Check out "Skate Paint" online. It's a polyurethane coating that works well with todays wheels.
I'll keep checking in

______
shah302
shah302

Next

Return to Ramp Building Forums