Xtreme Skater - Free skate ramp plans

What is the ideal amount of flat bottom for a half pipe?

Talk about ramp building, ask questions

What is the ideal amount of flat bottom for a half pipe?

Postby jamocha on Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:21 am

I have been doing the research and I got a fairly good idea of how to build a half pipe. The one question nobody really seems to address is, :?: what the ideal amount of flat bottom for a half pipe?
These are my plans; I have enough space to build a 16'W X 36'L HP including platforms. So, I was thinking a 16'W X 28'L X 6' or 7'Deep (or both) HP. Transitions would be 8'3" to 8'6" arc, and 12' flat bottom.
Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated since I can't wait to get going on this project. :mrgreen:

Jeff M.
jamocha

Re: What is the ideal amount of flat bottom for a half pipe?

Postby Shellskater on Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:34 pm

I know what your saying, I felt the same way when building our halfpipe. I built ours with an 8' flat section to begin with and it is 4' tall. After skating it, it felt way too fast coming off the first transition before hitting the next. You felt out of control. I spoke with a friend that has a 7' tall 1/2 pipe and his has a 12' flat section. He said a good length is about 10'. We then tore ours down and added 2' to the flat section. Been skating it since and it seems like a good amount for the flat section. 12' might be good too for a 4' tall 1/2 pipe, but irony know if it would be too hard to keep up your speed. Hope this info helps and good luck. Have fun.

----Shellskater
Shellskater

Return to Ramp Building Forums