Xtreme Skater - Free skate ramp plans

Introduce Yourself

Talk about ramp building, ask questions

Re: Introduce Yourself

Postby jamocha on Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:52 am

Hey Everybody,
My name is Jeff, 52 yrs. old and living in Charlotte, NC. I started skating in the early 70's and use to skate pools and half pipes all the time. My friends and I were on the local skate park team in Ohio. We lived and breathed skate boarding and would travel the US in search of the ultimate skate experiences. In the summer of 78 we hit AZ and southern CA for two months and returned home to the news our park was closing. It was happening all over the US and was pretty much the end of an era. We all went our separate ways, college, military or real life jobs. A couple of my friends moved to FL or CA and continued the lifestyle and are still very much involved in skate boarding, either teaching or sponsoring current pros like, Andy MacDonald and Mimi Knoop, to drop a couple of names.
Anyway, I got in touch with my old friend and told him I wanted to start skating again after more than 30 years. He said cool, btw, he skates Bucky Laseks pool at least once a week, and he would hook me up with a new ride. He sent me a, Grind for Life deck with Jessup grip, since he's friends with Mike Rogers, on top of Indy 161's and rolling with Bones limited edition Skatopia's. Awesome ride.
Recently, I have been to the local skate park in Charlotte, NC to see if I could still do it and to my surprise, I could still ride the vert. Not as well as I'd like, but okay for an old man.
To paraphrase the late great Jay Adams, You didn't get to old to skate, you got old because you didn't skate, or something like that. Well now I dream skating again and go to the park as often as I can, but it's not enough, because of time and distance.
Solution, build a half pipe in my backyard. I'm doing the research and I'll be posting my questions in the forum.

Peace,
Jeff M.
jamocha

Previous

Return to Ramp Building Forums