Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/banaax/xtremeskater.com/forums/includes/bbcode.php on line 456

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/banaax/xtremeskater.com/forums/includes/bbcode.php on line 456

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/banaax/xtremeskater.com/forums/includes/bbcode.php on line 95

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/banaax/xtremeskater.com/forums/includes/bbcode.php on line 95

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4184: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:456)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:456)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:456)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4188: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:456)
Xtreme Skater • View topic - Wood to use
Xtreme Skater - Free skate ramp plans

Wood to use

Talk about ramp building, ask questions

Wood to use

Postby rancidgerma on Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:26 pm

Hey, What kind of wood is best to use? I'm on a buget so a low cost one would suit me best. Thanks.
-rancidgerma
rancidgerma

Re: Wood to use

Postby Bobby on Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:01 pm

Welcome rancidgerma,

I'm not really sure about the exact name of the 2x4's, I realize there are a lot of kinds now a days, next time I am at the store I will write down the description, but I'm not even sure its a standard thing, if you ask the guy at home depot what they use for outdoor decks you will be good with that. I do know that you can get treated or untreated, and if you are building the ramp inside you can use untreated to save money, otherwise you will want untreated.

Same goes for the plywood sides with the treated vs untreated, I always just find 3/4" plywood that looks solid, not too many knots in the wood, again i'll write down the exact description next time I am at the store.

Finally for the ultra low budget you can look around the neighborhood for scraps and just make whatever you find work. I live on a farm so there is always extra wood laying around and I often just use what I have.

Also there is the issue of surfacing, if you click on "General Building Tips" to the left you will see the surfacing options.

If there is a particular lumber item you were wondering about I might be able to answer your question better.
Bobby
Site Admin

Postby esponjarider on Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:45 am

I built my ramp for $16 and alot of elbow grease. I went to construction demo sites and asked to recycle the old studs for homes being demo'd. There were 2x4's, 2x6's and 4x4's.
You may even get lucky and get some plywood.

The hard part about this is that you have to clean the wood up which is a little time consuming but hey its free and you won't feel bad if you mess a piece up during construction of the ramp.

There is picture of the ramp I built in the introduction section of the message board.

DOM
esponjarider

Postby bmxrox on Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:24 pm

i found that if you can find the wood goriga-pacific, it's very cheap, but good
bmxrox

Postby bmxrox on Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:03 pm

Sorry that I post all the time but if u use 3/8 inch wood to bend for the qp it cracks a couple time. Thats what happened to me.
bmxrox

Postby mags on Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:00 am

i found that if you can find the wood goriga-pacific, it's very cheap, but good

is that plywood or 2X4s?
MAGS
mags

Postby bmxrox on Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:03 pm

you can find both at about any Menards store
bmxrox

Postby mags on Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:03 pm

bmxrox wrote:you can find both at about any Menards store

is there a good store in canada?
MAGS
mags

Postby bmxrox on Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:51 pm

Ummm i dont really know if there are any god stores in cananda. im guess that you would be able to fine it at an wood dealer.

jake
bmxrox

Postby mags on Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:20 pm

bmxrox wrote:Ummm i dont really know if there are any god stores in cananda. im guess that you would be able to fine it at an wood dealer.

thanx 8-)
MAGS
mags

Next

Return to Ramp Building Forums