Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/banaax/xtremeskater.com/forums/includes/bbcode.php on line 456

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/banaax/xtremeskater.com/forums/includes/bbcode.php on line 456

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/banaax/xtremeskater.com/forums/includes/bbcode.php on line 95
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4184: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:456)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:456)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:456)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4188: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:456)
Xtreme Skater • View topic - Introduce Yourself
Xtreme Skater - Free skate ramp plans

Introduce Yourself

Talk about ramp building, ask questions

Re: Introduce Yourself

Postby Bobby on Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:55 am

Win - welcome, make sure to take some pics and make a project page when you are done.

coolguy - I'm the wrong guy to ask about buying advise, i have size 14 feet so have only been able to try on one or two types of skates.

DOM - So it just occured to me that I might be able to get free wood as you did around LA for a halfpipe I want to build at my place at USC. I will be sending you an email trying to get some more info.

justin - sounds cool, you do any ramp skating?
Bobby
Site Admin

Postby mmtutor on Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:33 am

Hello people, my name is Micah and I am a 34 year old, coming outta retirement from skateboarding, LOL. I live in a town called Woodinville Washington, and I work full time at The Home Depot in Redmond, (yes tons of misc lumber) which will get me to a few ramp ideas, I skated very agressive from 1985 to 96. then got married. Well thats in the past. I skated every so often in my garage, and kinda gave up when my indy 169 base plate cracked. (old skool bolt pattern) so pretty much stopped. Anyways, long story short, in the past few months my little brother got into boards and ended up buying me a falcon3 from BH, bones wheels etc as a late b-day present, and I ended up buying a minilogo, shortly after that . So got back into it. in the past month we have built a mini half (thanks for all the plans and links, plus gave me other ideas for misc ramp/fun box stuff) a small fun box that we use in our large shop and now have decided to build a mini qaurter thats 8 feet wide. The mini half, Which we built in 2 days (I have alot of construction exp plus all the proper tools) all new lumber total cost with paint $534, and some change.

Now I have noticed that there was alot of questions in reagrds to coping install, the install that I did was super easy, build you coping seat via the plans from Rick Dahlen, on the end pieces drill through the back into the pipe, 1,5/8 pipe ($8.97 line post at HD) drill four holes 1/2 inch for outside edges 3/8 for the two inner ones (two on the outside and two closer to the center of the ramp) Use vise grips or c-clamps to hold it in place drill the holes from behind the coping (through the seat into the pipe) put your 1/2 bolt through and stick the nut on, tighten down hidden nut. ta da, no visable screw holes, now the inner holes do it the same way but with a 3/8 drill bit, drill it out and use 2qty 1/2 galv lag bolts boom, done, no holes showing. In my opinion it was a cleaner and easier to do. Cause the way people could look at it is if you drill holes through the top of the pipe you will have places for rain to get and will start to rot the wood where your Qoute un Qoute hidden screws are.. its a no brainer guys. plus dead spots where your trucks will hit.

Also here is a better way to draw out a trans, (freehand looks junky, fishing line does strech and so does any contractors stringline) I took my 4x8 sheet laid it on a 2x4 via the start of your trans, the take your tape measure up a 1x2 mark you radias ( 69 or 72 inches u, run a screw through the 1x in to the 2x. But still be able to move it, then drill a hole for a sharpie or pencil to sit in, run it up the plywood. now you have a nice clean line to cut from rather than something kinda goofy looking.

Anyways will post pics of the mini, mini funbox, and mini quarter soon..

Also, if you have a way always look at lowes and home depot for their cull lumber, the both always have 2x's standard and pressure treated and plywood for cheap, the fun box I made was all cull lumber and the total cost was around 20$ (not bad for all new lumber) just giving ya the heads up on the discounted wood.

Well anyways guys and girls, sk8 great and hard and be safe, hope to chat with ya peeps more, Micah
mmtutor

Postby Bobby on Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:59 pm

Micah - welcome to the forums, you bring up some good points

About the coping, have you ever skated a ramp that uses the method I use for drilling the coping in (leaving holes in top of coping)? I was hesitant at first but you really do not notice the holes at all, so it is nice to not require and new screws or materials when putting the coping in. I do, however, want to get your and rick's way explained on my site with some pictures, perhaps you could upload some pictures of putting the coping in with your other ramp pics (http://www.xtremeskater.com/projects)?

Also, I admit my transition drawing instructions are somewhat inconsistent throughout my plans. I have also been drawn transitions without string recently, but instead tying the pencil into a 2x4 and pivot that on the plywood. I am a little confused about your explanation, specifically where it says 1x2, and 1x into the 2x. Again this is something that I plan to get some better instructions on in the future.

I will definitely ask about call lumber next time I am buying wood, I'm always getting questions about reducing costs so I might add the suggestion as a footnote to the cost estimates of all the plans if it works out.
Bobby
Site Admin

Postby mmtutor on Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:34 pm

bobby, thanks for the welcome to the forum.
In the morning I will be building the trans for the mini qtr ramp. I will take pictures of the tran jig with the 2x4 and a 2x2, my brother cut up all the 1x2s that we used last time, method with the holes drilled in it for the pen to draw the line and I will get ya some pics of the halfpipe that we just finished, its missing its paint on the trans sides but does look good. Also after alot of research, I found a paint that you can use on your sheeting, its from gliddon, and its a oil based porch paint that resists scuffs and scratches, so thats a good paint I believe, its 18.97 a gal and covers 450sq ft. Anyways chat with ya later. Micah
mmtutor

Postby bmx man 11 on Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:20 am

Hey I am alex I am 11 I do a lot of inline skating although I am to scared to jump the gaps do you have any suggestions?
bmx man 11

Postby kgskate on Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:07 pm

Hey guys ive been up here for a long time. I had another name here too haha.

but im keith from NC. I like to skate. I built two quarter pipes using these plans already. Im about to work on my third tommorrow. I have a slight question though when using masonite do you put the shiny slick side up or the rough side? Ive seen it both ways. Its weird. thanks.

Great site bobby, glad its lasted this long hope it gets better ill take lots of pictures when I do mine for project section.
kgskate

Postby mmtutor on Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:43 am

Keith, whats up?
On the whole masonite deal, I also have seen it both ways, but the proper way is shiny side up. One thing I have noticed is that the masonite from Home Depot is super slick. and the wheels today ranging from 95 to 101a is that they slide alot more on the masonite. On two of my past ramps, I went from masonite to certified sanded plywood it costs a little bit more, and looks nice and smooth. Plus it has texture to it which helps with wheel grip. anyways hope this helps. later Micah
mmtutor

Postby kgskate on Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:23 pm

Aight thanks im going to buy the wood and mats today. Ill look for that and see what kind of money I have. The ramp me and my friend built we put the masonite with the rough side up. You really look alot of speed. But its great traction. Ill see what works best though.

Any thought on how I can move this easily? I have to move it about once a week come spring. Thanks.
kgskate

Postby mmtutor on Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:28 pm

kgskate wrote:Aight thanks im going to buy the wood and mats today. Ill look for that and see what kind of money I have. The ramp me and my friend built we put the masonite with the rough side up. You really look alot of speed. But its great traction. Ill see what works best though.

Any thought on how I can move this easily? I have to move it about once a week come spring. Thanks.

I just put castors on my qtr pipe so it made it easy to move around, look at the pictures on the project pages, Micah
mmtutor

Postby coolguy on Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:43 pm

hey bobbie when can i start uploading vids of me skating???
coolguy

PreviousNext

Return to Ramp Building Forums