Xtreme Skater - Free skate ramp plans

flat bottom length-vs-transition radius and height

Talk about ramp building, ask questions

flat bottom length-vs-transition radius and height

Postby slippypeople9 on Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:17 pm

oi, does anyone know a formula for this, or some good ballpark ranges. my family has a couple of beginners, an intermediate, and an old man who skated a long time ago (me).

i know the steeper or higher, the longer you want the flat bottom.

also, anyone built ramps in 4' widths? we have a great spot for one, but cant fit the 8'
slippypeople9

Re: flat bottom length-vs-transition radius and height

Postby inframan on Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:51 am

For a halfpipe I dont think most people would be happy with anything less than 8' wide. 4' is barely enough to do an axle stall on.
inframan

a stucco facial, and a stockade fence wedgie

Postby slippypeople9 on Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:15 pm

i think you are right, i was messing around with that little side yard, and even at nominal i smacked the garage and the fence a few times.

still lookin for any help with flat vs ramp ratios tyvm!
slippypeople9

Postby benwinch on Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:03 am

a good rule of thumb for mini ramps is twice as much flat as height. the ramps on this site are close enough to four feet high and have 8 ft of flat bottom, and they work pretty well. if you do a lot of lip tricks you want to give yourself enough time to set your feet up and also slow down enough to not overshoot the coping.

I extended my ramp up to 6ft and kept the 8ft flat and it works just fine. however, i can tell that if i ever wanted to go higher i would want more flat.

when you get into vert ramps, however, i dont think this rule applies. a 12' high ramp seems like it would have too much flatbottom if it had 24'
benwinch

Postby Mattsoft1 on Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:21 am

I built a 4ft wide halfpipe 2ft tall and an 6ft flatbottom it works fine. the flatbttom is just perfect. Can't grind but is nice to learn tricks on, you can 50-50 it. Its so awseome!

It is better than nothing.
Mattsoft1

Return to Ramp Building Forums