Xtreme Skater - Free skate ramp plans

Building a ramp in my basement

Talk about ramp building, ask questions

Building a ramp in my basement

Postby sk8bros on Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:41 am

I am going to build a quarterpipe in my basement ceiling height is of course an issue at 7' 6" i will prolly only make it 18" or maybe 24" tall im really not sure what kind of a transition this size ramp should have any thoughts on this would be great. its just to keep my kids busy in the winter and on those rainy days when they will likley sit in front of a video game all day
sk8bros

Re: Building a ramp in my basement

Postby sk8bros on Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:26 pm

Ok so i built a halfpipe instead of a quarter. :D It is about 15' long 18"tall 18" platforms 3.5' trannys and 5' of flat and 8' wide . i spent alot of time with the transition and ended up with a 60" transition. ima try to post some pics if i can figure out how to
sk8bros

Postby Bobby on Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:36 am

Hey thanks a lot for the pics the ramp looks really nice. Sorry I didn't get any advise to you in time I haven't built many small ramps so cant give much, let us know how the 60" transition works out it looks like a fun ride.
Bobby
Site Admin

Postby sk8bros on Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:56 am

The 60" transition seems to be just right i am not a skater myself so all i know is what my son tells me and he loves it so far. He says its a smooth drop in and the speed is just right to not overshoot the other side. Which is good considering the platforms are only 18" and beyond that is a wall, no wall faceplants . As far as skill its what you want to make it i guess my oldest son is 12 and is really practicing grinds,stalls and lip tricks so height is nice for the inevitable fall or falls . lol .When the weather gets nice here he will move back out to the 4' in the yard . I also have 4 younger sons so i expect this ramp to get some use. Great starter ramp for the younger ones to intimidated to drop into the 4' . The pvc rails were a little slick but now that they have some wear on them they are perfect and a little quieter than a metal one . Man i wish my parents were this good to me when i was growing up . =P
sk8bros

Postby MaccLad on Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:13 am

Hi I want to do a similar project but take the ramp up to 2foot high rather than 18 inches. I have about 15.5 foot to build it in. Do you think a 60 inch tranny is too tight for the extra height, should I mellow it out to 70 inches?

Let me know

M
MaccLad

Postby MaccLad on Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:15 am

Also ska8bros, love the basement ramp. Indeed you are a champion amongst dads!!
(I have two boys, 3 and 5, oldest one just getting into skating, and me just trying to rediscover it)
MaccLad

Postby sk8bros on Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:39 am

Hi and thanks for the posts and compliments :D . Im not really sure to be honest if it would change it that much adding 6" in height but given the age that will be using the ramp its something to think about . I spent alot of time trying to get the right transition for my boys. You could try to cutting a test piece out of card board just so you can see how it will look for real. kinda what i did till we settled on the 60". Hope this helps . And you too will be a champion dad :D
sk8bros

Postby ckhawley on Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:48 am

Massive thanks for posting, excellent project.

Building nearly identical, planning on 2' Any afterthoughts/feedback now that its been up for a while? Specifically interested in comments on the trannys, decks and ceiling height from any bigger skaters who've ridden it hard.

I'm planning on an extra tranny template or two to add stiffness/durability, and building to 2' height. Have cement walls and might build a perpendicular ramp and bowling the corner between the two ramps if things go well ;)
ckhawley

Postby michaeljee on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:55 am

Hi That is great, That is awesome information, i was also looking for this.
Regards

Return to Ramp Building Forums