Xtreme Skater - Free skate ramp plans

Elevate ramp from ground

Talk about ramp building, ask questions

Elevate ramp from ground

Postby ElPerla on Tue May 03, 2011 1:33 am

Hi!
I live in a rainy part of Spain and I wanted to build an outdoor mini ramp. Apart from protecting the wood with special paints, I was thinking of elevating the ramp a few cms from the ground.It has to be stable enough to support the vibrations and movements. In this way the wood on the bottom wouldn't deteriorate when it rained.
Has anyone got any useful info on the subject or has anyone already done this?
Regards.
ElPerla

Re: Elevate ramp from ground

Postby ROYAL on Thu May 12, 2011 3:50 pm

Use a 'Pressure Treated" wood for anything touching the ground.
The wood has a heavy chemical in it that is rot and water resistant.
Make sure it is not a "Borate" or salt based chemical. That is only for
bugs and will not hold up with water.

Also, make sure you have a 1/2"(12mm) slope from one end of the ramp to the other to allow water do drain off.
ROYAL

Postby ziggy on Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:47 pm

I just built an 18ft long by 18ft wide mini ramp so basically i built two mini ramps and put them together. anyways i had to lift the half pipes off the ground so i could get them perfectly leveled. and i did it with gardening timbers. 4 on each side and several placed under the ramp to make sure it was sturdy. gardening timbers are 3$ a piece where i live but if money isn't an option you should splurge for 4x4's. and just get yourself a level and a friend to lift while you drill.
ziggy

Postby ziggy on Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:51 pm

oh and i'm not sure how big yours is... but mine weighs enough to keep it from rocking around. if you get a problem with that just grab yourself a post hole digger and a bag of quickrete and do it the ghetto weigh. pour quickrete in the hole add water stir a little and drop the timber in haha.
ziggy

Postby ROYAL on Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:48 am

The gardening timbers that Ziggy is talking about are "Pressure Treated", or made from Redwood. Both are great and of course, cheaper is better. Redwood is not as strong and may give out over time. Here in the States we have access to used Rail Road Ties. These will work great and should be cheap from a salvage company. Sometimes you can find a pile of them where they tore out some old tracks.
ROYAL

Postby hadriya9091 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:46 am

Excellent post. I want to thank you for this informative read, I really appreciate sharing this great post. Keep up your work. Thanks for this very useful
hadriya9091

Return to Ramp Building Forums